Our Linda B. recently shared this recipe (I believe she got it from her sister-in-law) with several of her fortunate friends, including me, and my family has been very happy about that.
Saltine bark is salty and sweet, very easy to make, and delicious.
Thank you, Linda!
1. Line a baking sheet with foil, spray it with Pam, and then lay a single layer of Saltine crackers on the sheet.
2. In a saucepan, mix 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup butter (2 sticks) and boil, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
3. Pour the butter/sugar mixture over the crackers and bake at 350 for 7 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle a 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips over the pan. Let chips soften for a minute or two, and then spread evenly over the top of the cookies. If desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts. (I didn't do nuts on this batch because they are gifts and I didn't know if anybody had nut allergies, but the nuts make it look prettier and "finished".)
5. Cut the cookies into squares while they are still warm.
6. Let cool, then refrigerate so chocolate sets. Store at room temp.